This is the staple breakfast that I have after every morning run. It’s high in protein, carbohydrates and good fats, and has a good serving of green vegetables. It has everything you need to refuel and rebuild muscles.
Most people think they don’t have time for a cooked breakfast in the morning, but this meal is quicker to make than you think and will keep you feeling full till lunch.
- 2 x slices of light rye sourdough toast
- 1 x large egg (poached) *Poach 2 eggs if you’re starving or you’ve finished a super long run*
- 1 x large handful of baby spinach (steamed and wilted)
- 1/2 avocado (mashed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chilli flakes to taste *optional*
- Place a few inches of water in the bottom of a saucepan and place on a medium heat.
- Break an egg into a silicon egg poacher and float in the saucepan with the lid on for approx 5-6mins or until cooked.
- Whilst the egg is cooking, toast the sourdough and top with smashed avo.
- Place the fresh baby spinach into a steamer and place it on top of the saucepan for 1-min or until the spinach has gently wilted.
- Top the toast and avocado with wilted spinach and poached egg, and dust with salt and pepper.
Looking for more nutritious recovery recipes? Download my FREE e-book ‘Refuel’ – with 7-days of nourishing recipes to feed your tired and hungry muscles.