This is a hearty post-workout meal and the perfect vegetarian dish for your meat-free-Mondays.
Lentils are high in protein and super low in fat. Mushrooms are high in vitamin B (essential for energy), Vitamin D and antioxidants like selenium. Combine that with the goodness of carrots, onions, garlic, tomatoes and the wholemeal pasta and you’ve got a well balanced and tummy filling meal!
I always make a huge batch so I’ve got lunch left-overs for the next day.
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 4 large (about 385g) field mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x can brown lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 1 x can diced tomatoes or jar of low sugar pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 375g packet dried wholemeal spaghetti (or you could use zucchini noodles if you want to boost your veggie intake and reduce your starchy carbs)
- Finely grated parmesan cheese to serve
- Chopped fresh continental parsley leaves to serve
* Make it plant-based by taking out the parmesan cheese.
Heat the oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
Add chopped mushrooms and carrot and cook until soft.
Stir in drained lentils, undrained canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10-mins, stirring occasionally.
While the sauce is cooking, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.
Top spaghetti with bolognese and sprinkle with cheese and chopped parsley.
Looking for more post-workout recovery meals? Download my FREE e-book ‘Refuel – Nourishing recipes to feed your tired and hungry muscles’.